xah-fly-keys with Ultimate Hacking Keyboard
This is a optimal layout of Ultimate Hacking Keyboard for using with Emacs: Xah Fly Keys.
Layout for Xah-Fly-Keys
Most important features:
- Home key (on left), End (on right), both for activating command mode. This allow either hand to switch to command mode.
- ⌫ Backspace and Space are both leader keys. This allow either hand to invoke leader. But also, when held down, they activates Mod layer for arrows and other navigation via UHK.
- The number keys 1 2 and 7 8 are swapped. This is more efficient. [see Efficient Layout for Numbers]
- Tab (on left), easy to hit than above. Often for completion.
- F10 is a leader key for personal commands.
- ⌦ Delete is a leader key for major mode commands.
- F11 and F12 switch buffers.
- The special button at bottom, are Mod, Fn. So they are available, and can be pressed twice to lock into a mode.
- Ctrl and Alt are not used much with xah-fly-keys, they are left in their original position. Chording is avoided as much as possible.
Layout 2 for Xah-Fly-Keys
In this variation, the arrows keys are prominent. This makes isearch forward/backward easier.
back to Emacs: Xah Fly Keys