List of Emacs Starter Kits
For emacs beginners, you might be confused by emacs's configuration complexity. There are several kits that help. The most popular are:
- [spacemacs http://spacemacs.org/ ]
- [emacs prelude by Bozhidar Batsov. At https://github.com/bbatsov/prelude ]
- [Steve Purcell's emacs.d By Steve Purcell. At https://github.com/purcell/emacs.d ]
- [emacs24-starter-kit By Eric Schulte. At https://github.com/eschulte/emacs24-starter-kit ]
- [emacs-live https://github.com/overtone/emacs-live ]
- [graphene by Robert Dallas Gray. At https://github.com/rdallasgray/graphene ]
- [scimax. For scientist/engineer for reproducible research and publishing. Focus on LaTeX and org-mode. https://github.com/jkitchin/scimax ]
Which emacs starter kit is best?
There's no simple answer. You just have to try them and decide which is best for you.
Emacs Binary Distros
Use Plain GNU Emacs
Alternatively, you can just use plain GNU Emacs. It works fine out of the box. When you actually need something, search for it in packages. [see Emacs: How to Install Packages Using ELPA, MELPA]
Here's basic config cookbook: Emacs: Init File Tutorial.
Ultimately, you'll have to eventually learn emacs, bit by bit, over the years. That's the disadvantage of emacs as well as its power.
What's the Best Setup for Coding Language X?
2013-09-18 thanks to Rafał Babinicz for tips.
If you have a question, put $5 at patreon and message me.