Famous Emacs Users
Donald Knuth uses emacs
- color-mode.el → An experimental line-oriented color mode for Emacs (August 2000) knuth_color-mode.el
- Sample Fvwm2 Config File → The emacs-oriented desktop layouts I use on my home computer to write books; these also need icons zero.xpm, one.xpm, two.xpm, three.xpm (May 2000, updated December 2007)
- my6x13.bdf and my6x13B.bdf → TeX-oriented bitmap fonts that I use for text editing with emacs
[2018-10-10 from https://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/programs.html ]
Julian Assange of wikileaks
[see Richard Stallman meets Julian Assange 2013]
Yukihiro Matsumoto (aka Matz) (Ruby)
[see Ruby Creator Matz on How Emacs Changed My Life]
Guido van Rossum (python)
Guido van Rossum
you can see references from python documentation especially early versions, where emacs is mentioned. e.g. adopting emacs unicode declaration
-*- coding: utf-8 -*- in file first line, and mention how python's inline doc formatting convention is different from in emacs function convention.
Rich Hickey (Clojure)
• Clojure's Rich Hickey. (appears, look at his video presentations. It seems all are emacs.)
Joe Armstrong (Erlang)
Andrei Alexandrescu (D lang)
• Andrei Alexandrescu (1 of 2 creator of D lang)
Stephen Wolfram (Mathematica)
• Stephen Wolfram used emacs, at least in the 1990s (from internal company communications 1995, he had asked emacs question) but i think now just Mathematica.
Separate note, Mathematica used to support emacs keybinding in the 1990s.
OCaml's Xavier Leroy. Source?
MySQL creator Michael Widenius. Source?
Guy Steele (a lisp god) He used emacs before Richard Stallman.
Peter Norvig (a lisp god)
Eric Raymond (open source creator). he co-wrote Learning GNU Emacs. Old contributor of emacs (mentioned in acknowledgment), and regular blogger now and then talk about emacs.
Jamie Zawinsky. old fkhd. created xemacs.
Steve Yegge. famous blogger. worked at amazon, google.
- Netscape Andreesen
- Paul Graham, uses vim
- Larry Wall, uses vim
- Rob Pike, uses acme
- Java's James Gosling wrote Gosling emacs, one of the early emacs, but i think he no longer use emacs
- Linux creator Linus Torvalds uses micro-emacs
thx to ag for the thread [ https://twitter.com/iLemming/status/1047250128099192832 accessed: 2018-10-02]