The Sigils WAR, Language Design and Coding Convention
emacs lisp sigil war! make your choice!
sigil war on reddit
sigil war on reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/4s499h/emacs_lisp_sigil_war/
voice your thoughts there.
my reasons for sigil, is Sigil for Function Parameter Names
Sigils of the Clojure clan
Ξblood of the Φsigils
an eulogy to sigils ξ φ
(while reading this piece, you need to listen to Chopin, Funeral March 📺)
feel pretty sad about to remove all my sigils. There are some 10 packages, thousands of sigils. Feel pretty sad, because in the process i felt something is lost. Sigils provide many linguistic advantages. For one thing, it is easy to change sigils φ ξ to the versions without, but hard to do the reverse. Precisely because the sigil'd variable provides a syntactic property that's advantageous.
ξsigil, is like a syntactic type. Sigil to syntax is types to semantics. #haskell #ocaml
i'm in the process of removing sigils on the 3d package, but having second thoughts. Yeah, convention didn't like it, but that's because convention isn't spiffy. 2 parts. ① There's a natural aversion, because most people have problem typing the thing, especially western people, because it's foreign and they haven't encountered input system (as if u need to type Chinese). Most emacs dev, still really want ASCII. (they are already being outdated by current crop of programing languages now, which embrace unicode chars.) ② the linguist issues: UUID, Referential Transparency, Point-Free Function Syntax, Combinatory Logic, Hygienic Macro. I outlined here Programing Style: Variable Naming: English Words Considered Harmful but most programers no unstand.
i resent wasamasa putting a damnation in there that got all upvotes to the top. (of course) Hackers are the worst enemy to programing progress, as Douglas Crockford and other observers have said.
perhaps, a comforting thought is that, if i want to do this, perhaps do it in ocaml haskell or create my own fp lang with enforced sigil! Emacs lisp, and the community, does not fit. I feel much better now.
- rms Stole Emacs Source Code from James Gosling
- rms Resigned from FSF, 2019-09-16
- 2019 rms at Microsoft, 2019
- 2018 rms, Emacs Tyrant
- 2017 rms Pushing for GPL3, Kicked Out Free Software from Free Software Platform
- 2016 Emacs Lisp Doc String Curly Quote Controversy
- 2016 GNU Emacs Removes Color Emoji Support on the Mac
- 2017 Language Server Protocol Kills Emacs
- 2016 Emacs: Ugly Redisplay Internals Hack
- 2015 rms: What's magit?
- 2013 Rants on Emacs Visual Lines by Don Hopkins and Mark Crispin
- 2013 rms Wants Emacs to be Word Processor
- 2013 Free Software Foundation, How Much Donation They Get?
- 2012 Lisp Programer Daniel Weinreb Died (1959 to 2012)
- 2011 rms Speech Requirement
- 2007 Daniel Weinreb Rebuttal to rms's Story of LISP History
- Young rms on Software Freedom
The Emacs Cult
- 2010 GNU Emacs Development Inefficiency
- 2001 GNU Emacs and XEmacs Schism
- 2007 My Experience of Emacs vs XEmacs
- 2008 Problems of Emacswiki
- 2011 Emacs Cult Problem: Emacs vs Windows Notepad
- 2011 Emacs Undo and Emacs Cult Problem
- 2010 Emacs: Have You Read Emacs Manual?