Emacs: isearch Current Word
Here's a command to isearch the word under cursor.
(defun xah-search-current-word () "Call `isearch' on current word or text selection. “word” here is A to Z, a to z, and hyphen 「-」 and underline 「_」, independent of syntax table. URL `http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/modernization_isearch.html' Version 2015-04-09" (interactive) (let ( $p1 $p2 ) (if (use-region-p) (progn (setq $p1 (region-beginning)) (setq $p2 (region-end))) (save-excursion (skip-chars-backward "-_A-Za-z0-9") (setq $p1 (point)) (right-char) (skip-chars-forward "-_A-Za-z0-9") (setq $p2 (point)))) (setq mark-active nil) (when (< $p1 (point)) (goto-char $p1)) (isearch-mode t) (isearch-yank-string (buffer-substring-no-properties $p1 $p2))))
You need to give it a easy key. Such as F8. [see Emacs: How to Define Keys]
Also, you should set your isearch repeat to arrow keys. Emacs: isearch by Arrow Keys.
Problem with Emacs's isearch
Emacs's “isearch” has some problems. Suppose you have this line:
… aa-bb-▮cc xx yy …
and your cursor is on the second dash. You want to search the next occurrence of the word “aa-bb-cc”. You have to press 【Alt+b Alt+b Ctrl+s Ctrl+w Ctrl+w Ctrl+w Ctrl+s】. That's about 8 keys. In vim, it's just a single key press 【*】.
addendum: Emacs 24.4 has the new command
isearch-forward-symbol-at-point that improved the situation but still pretty bad. Now to search current word under cursor, you need to press 【Alt+s . Alt+s _ Ctrl+s】. [see Emacs: Search Text in Buffer] Besides the too-many-keys problem, this command has more problems:
isearch-forward-symbol-at-pointis on “symbols” only. What chars are part of “symbol” is unpredictable, mode-dependent.
- The search is with boundary check. That is, if current symbol is “xyz”, it'll will not find occurrences of “xyz2”.
Emacs Find Replace
- Simple Changes Emacs Should Adopt
- Why Emacs Keys are Painful
- Problems of the Scratch Buffer
- M-key Notation vs Alt+key Notation
- Menu Problem
- Mode Line Problem
- cua-mode Problems
- kill-buffer Induces Buffer Accumulation
- Emacs Form Feed ^L
- Inconsistency of Search Features
- Single Key to Delete Whole Line
- Emacs HTML Mode Sucks
- Emacs Does Not Support Viewing Images Files In Windows
- Emacs Spell Checker Problems
- Adopt HTML as Texinfo Replacement
- Support HTML Mail
- Problems of “man” Command
- Emacs Lisp Mode Syntax Coloring Problem
- Emacs Ahk Mode Problems
- Problems of Emacs's Manual
- Problems of Emacs's Manual; Examples
- Emacs: Have You Read Emacs Manual?
- Elisp: Ban Syntax Table
- Emacs: Make elisp-index-search use Current Symbol
- Emacs: Usability Problems of Mode Documentation
- Problems of Emacswiki
- Emacs GNU Texinfo Problems; Invalid HTML
- A Record of Frustration in IT Industry; Disappearing FSF URLs, 2006
- Emacs Manual Node Persistency Issues
- Emacs: dired-do-query-replace-regex Replace ALL (fixed)
- Problems of Emacs Supporting Obsolete Systems
- Elisp: Function to Copy/Delete a Dir Recursively (fixed)
- Thoughts on Common Lisp Scheme Lisp Based Emacs
- Text Editors Popularity and Market Research
- Text Editor's Cursor Movement Behavior (emacs, vi, Notepad++)
- GNU Emacs Development Inefficiency
- Emacs Dev Inefficiency and Emacs Web 2.0?
- Letter-Case Commands Usability Problems
- Emacs: Select Line, between Quotes, Extend Selection
- Emacs: isearch Current Word
- Suggestions on Line Wrap Commands
- Emacs: Single Key to Delete Whole Line
- Emacs Cult Problem: Emacs vs Windows Notepad
- Emacs Undo and Emacs Cult Problem