Emacs: Fix Minor Mode Key Priority
2017-01-27 this page is work in progress
This page shows you how to change minor modes's key priority, when they conflict.
Minor mode's keys priority depends on the variable minor-mode-map-alist .
minor-mode-map-alist is a association list. [see Elisp: Association List]
Each element of minor-mode-map-alist is a cons pair, of the form
(cons 'minor_mode_x_var minor_mode_x_keymap)
The minor_mode_x_var is a variable of the same name of the command to toggle the minor mode, and has value of t or nil. (all minor modes have this variable)
The minor_mode_x_keymap is a keymap for that minor mode. (keymap is basically a list, used for keybinding. (info "(elisp) Format of Keymaps") )
Each minor_mode_x_var may have value true or false. When true, it means the corresponding keymap is active.
Emacs goes thru the active one in minor-mode-map-alist, the front ones has priority.
Note: emacs has other mechanisms about priority of keys.
- keymap embedded as text properties has priority. [see Elisp: Text Properties]
Show Minor Mode Key Priority
You can use this command to show minor mode key priority.
(defun xah-display-minor-mode-key-priority () "Print out minor mode's key priority. URL `http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/minor_mode_key_priority.html' Version 2017-01-27" (interactive) (mapc (lambda (x) (prin1 (car x)) (terpri)) minor-mode-map-alist))
Emacs Keybinding How-To Topic
- Emacs: How to Define Keys
- Emacs: Change Major Mode Keys
- Emacs: Change Minor Mode Keys
- Emacs: Fix Minor Mode Key Priority
- Emacs: Define Key Sequence
- Emacs: How to Bind Super Hyper Keys
- Emacs: How to Define Menu Key
- Emacs: Remapping Keys Using key-translation-map
- Emacs: Bind Number Pad Keys
- Emacs: How to Set Mouse Buttons
Patreon me $5. Ask me question on patreon