Emacs Cult Problem: Emacs vs Windows Notepad
On , “Captain Obvious” 〔udode…@users.sourceforge.net〕 wrote:
Yeah, god forbid doing things differently than Windows(r) NotePad does.
One of the emacs cult phenomenon is that whenever some UI improvement is mentioned, the emacs cultist will bring up Windows Notepad. It's like this:
Emacs user: we should be more loving and share resources.
Emacs cultist: why don't you join the communist?
from that point on, no meaningful discussion can be had. It's just emacs vs Windows Notepad, the good vs the evil, the enlightened hackers vs idiots. Like:
Emacs user: emacs undo is making me insane. Is it possible to have traditional undo?
Emacs cultist: if you want Windows Notepad, use that.
Emacs user: emacs keys are so hard to remember. Is it possible to support the conventional keys for copy, cut, open, close, etc as in GNU/Linux apps?
Emacs cultist: Why don't you go use Windows Notepad?
Emacs user: the C- and M- notation is not as intutive as Ctrl+ and Alt+. I understand the historical reasons, perhaps we can make the notation change?
Emacs cultist: if this poses a problem for you, may i suggest Windows Notepad?
- rms Stole Emacs Source Code from James Gosling
- rms Resigned from FSF, 2019-09-16
- 2019 rms at Microsoft, 2019
- 2018 rms, Emacs Tyrant
- 2017 rms Pushing for GPL3, Kicked Out Free Software from Free Software Platform
- 2016 Emacs Lisp Doc String Curly Quote Controversy
- 2016 GNU Emacs Removes Color Emoji Support on the Mac
- 2017 Language Server Protocol Kills Emacs
- 2016 Emacs: Ugly Redisplay Internals Hack
- 2015 rms: What's magit?
- 2013 Rants on Emacs Visual Lines by Don Hopkins and Mark Crispin
- 2013 rms Wants Emacs to be Word Processor
- 2013 Free Software Foundation, How Much Donation They Get?
- 2012 Lisp Programer Daniel Weinreb Died (1959 to 2012)
- 2011 rms Speech Requirement
- 2007 Daniel Weinreb Rebuttal to rms's Story of LISP History
- Young rms on Software Freedom
The Emacs Cult
- 2010 GNU Emacs Development Inefficiency
- 2001 GNU Emacs and XEmacs Schism
- 2007 My Experience of Emacs vs XEmacs
- 2008 Problems of Emacswiki
- 2011 Emacs Cult Problem: Emacs vs Windows Notepad
- 2011 Emacs Undo and Emacs Cult Problem
- 2010 Emacs: Have You Read Emacs Manual?