Emacs Cult Problem: Emacs vs Windows Notepad
On , “Captain Obvious” 〔udode…@users.sourceforge.net〕 wrote:
Yeah, god forbid doing things differently than Windows(r) NotePad does.
One of the emacs cult phenomenon is that whenever some UI improvement is mentioned, the emacs cultist will bring up Windows Notepad. It's like this:
Emacs user: we should be more loving and share resources.
Emacs cultist: why don't you join the communist?
from that point on, no meaningful discussion can be had. It's just emacs vs Windows Notepad, the good vs the evil, the enlightened hackers vs idiots. Like:
Emacs user: emacs undo is making me insane. Is it possible to have traditional undo?
Emacs cultist: if you want Windows Notepad, use that.
Emacs user: emacs keys are so hard to remember. Is it possible to support the conventional keys for copy, cut, open, close, etc as in GNU/Linux apps?
Emacs cultist: Why don't you go use Windows Notepad?
Emacs user: the C- and M- notation is not as intutive as Ctrl+ and Alt+. I understand the historical reasons, perhaps we can make the notation change?
Emacs cultist: if this poses a problem for you, may i suggest Windows Notepad?
- Simple Changes Emacs Should Adopt
- Why Emacs Keys are Painful
- Problems of the Scratch Buffer
- M-key Notation vs Alt+key Notation
- Menu Problem
- Mode Line Problem
- cua-mode Problems
- kill-buffer Induces Buffer Accumulation
- Emacs Form Feed ^L
- Inconsistency of Search Features
- Single Key to Delete Whole Line
- Emacs HTML Mode Sucks
- Emacs Does Not Support Viewing Images Files In Windows
- Emacs Spell Checker Problems
- Adopt HTML as Texinfo Replacement
- Support HTML Mail
- Problems of “man” Command
- Emacs Lisp Mode Syntax Coloring Problem
- Emacs Ahk Mode Problems
- Problems of Emacs's Manual
- Problems of Emacs's Manual; Examples
- Emacs: Have You Read Emacs Manual?
- Elisp: Ban Syntax Table
- Emacs: Make elisp-index-search use Current Symbol
- Emacs: Usability Problems of Mode Documentation
- Problems of Emacswiki
- Emacs GNU Texinfo Problems; Invalid HTML
- A Record of Frustration in IT Industry; Disappearing FSF URLs, 2006
- Emacs Manual Node Persistency Issues
- Emacs: dired-do-query-replace-regex Replace ALL (fixed)
- Problems of Emacs Supporting Obsolete Systems
- Elisp: Function to Copy/Delete a Dir Recursively (fixed)
- Thoughts on Common Lisp Scheme Lisp Based Emacs
- Text Editors Popularity and Market Research
- Text Editor's Cursor Movement Behavior (emacs, vi, Notepad++)
- GNU Emacs Development Inefficiency
- Emacs Dev Inefficiency and Emacs Web 2.0?
- Letter-Case Commands Usability Problems
- Emacs: Select Line, between Quotes, Extend Selection
- Emacs: isearch Current Word
- Suggestions on Line Wrap Commands
- Emacs: Single Key to Delete Whole Line
- Emacs Cult Problem: Emacs vs Windows Notepad
- Emacs Undo and Emacs Cult Problem