Practical Emacs Tutorial
of chars lispy and binding,
buffers insert yank,
meta sexp add-hook,
Eight M-bites And C. Swapping.
This tutorial is designed for writers, scientists, engineers, to get started on emacs quickly. Each page teaches you something practical you can use right away. No emacs jargons. No need programing experience.
Download Emacs for Windows, Mac, Linux
Those marked with a rocket ship 🚀 means it's a enhanced, efficient command. They are part of Emacs: Xah Fly Keys
About This Tutorial
If you were to spend 3 months reading 3 emacs books, it is more efficient to just read Xah Emacs Tutorial for just 1 month. Xah tutorial focus on actually using emacs in practice, and on efficiency of using emacs, as well as efficiency of learning.
- This tutorial skips the emacs parts that are rarely used. Every single one thousand emacs C-x commands are looked, the practical ones are presented to you.
- The writing style is concrete, and example based. No story telling, no joke, just what you need to know to use emacs in the most efficient way.
- This tutorial does not force emacs jargons and emacs hacker methods. If you are new to emacs, you will understand it. If you are old time hacker, you will improve your efficiency of using emacs.
- This tutorial covers emacs lisp, more extensive than any existing emacs lisp book (except the elisp manual) or elisp tutorial online. A little elisp makes you a far better emacs user and understanding emacs. [see Practical Emacs Lisp]
- There are more examples and elisp code in Xah Emacs Tutorial than all existing emacs books or web sites combined. You do not need to read it all, but any time spent reading this tutorial, you'll learn more useful things than same amount of time spent elsewhere.
The author lives in emacs since 1999. And has been obsessively writing emacs tutorial since 2006.
Buy Xah Emacs Tutorial
Buy my tutorial to support the site.
What Do People Say?
Testimonial on Xah Emacs Tutorial