Edward O'Connor vs Xah Lee
This page documents some conflicts between Edward O'Connor (aka hober) and Xah Lee (me), from my perspective.
Edward O'Connor is a Free Software Foundation fanatic, and quick to label people who disagree with him as “troll”.
We first met in Freenode's IRC #emacs channel in ~2006. At first he is friendly, but quickly considered me a “troll” due to my controversial opinions and unrelenting nature. Much more detail here: Freenode IRC Emacs Channel Ban on Xah Lee.
Why would he consider me troll? Here's few of my essays, he probably consider them trolling. Judge yourself:
- “Free” Software Morality, Richard Stallman, Paperwork Bureaucracy
- Emacs Modernization
- Emacs: Have You Read Emacs Manual?
Edward runs a emacs blog aggregate site http://planet.emacsen.org/. In ~, Alex Ott suggested that my emacs blog be added, but Edward turned the request down, saying that i'm a “consummate troll”. The request is at https://github.com/hober/planet.emacsen.org/pull/2. Here's a screenshot:
I have since learned, he also labeled several other programers troll. See: http://edward.oconnor.cx/experiments/trolls/
Here's a screenshot:
here's text version:
Experiments with troll markup
See also the simple container of hCards on the block list brainstorming page of the microformats wiki, and my troll-filters project on github.People I consider to be trolls Troll Email addresses Rob Burns email@example.com John Foliot firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org Xah Lee email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org William Loughborough email@example.com Andy Mabbett firstname.lastname@example.org Shelley Powers email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org Leif Halvard Silli email@example.com Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk Some stats related to HTML 5
All of the above trolls have participated or are participating in the HTML 5 standardization effort except for Xah.
- rms Stole Emacs Source Code from James Gosling
- rms Resigned from FSF, 2019-09-16
- 2019 rms at Microsoft, 2019
- 2018 rms, Emacs Tyrant
- 2017 rms Pushing for GPL3, Kicked Out Free Software from Free Software Platform
- 2016 Emacs Lisp Doc String Curly Quote Controversy
- 2016 GNU Emacs Removes Color Emoji Support on the Mac
- 2017 Language Server Protocol Kills Emacs
- 2016 Emacs: Ugly Redisplay Internals Hack
- 2015 rms: What's magit?
- 2013 Rants on Emacs Visual Lines by Don Hopkins and Mark Crispin
- 2013 rms Wants Emacs to be Word Processor
- 2013 Free Software Foundation, How Much Donation They Get?
- 2012 Lisp Programer Daniel Weinreb Died (1959 to 2012)
- 2011 rms Speech Requirement
- 2007 Daniel Weinreb Rebuttal to rms's Story of LISP History
- Young rms on Software Freedom
The Emacs Cult
- 2010 GNU Emacs Development Inefficiency
- 2001 GNU Emacs and XEmacs Schism
- 2007 My Experience of Emacs vs XEmacs
- 2008 Problems of Emacswiki
- 2011 Emacs Cult Problem: Emacs vs Windows Notepad
- 2011 Emacs Undo and Emacs Cult Problem
- 2010 Emacs: Have You Read Emacs Manual?